Friday, April 2, 2010

Day 1

Today is the first day of the rest of my life........haha I know that has been said so many times it sounds silly saying it here. But the truth of the matter is, today really is the start of a new beginning. Today is officially my last day at Home Depot as a Human Resource Manager. January 26 2010 we got the news we have all been laid off-900 of us. Although some relocated to Atlanta-100 to be exact, the rest of us were given 2 months to continue working and a 4 months severance. So here I am today-my last day, shutting the door on a 9 year career that I totally enjoyed. I remember telling everyone when they asked how I was doing with the news-- that it felt like when someone broke up with you that you wanted to break up with first. My life was changing and it was becomming harder and harder to juggle home and work, so I do believe this was meant to be.
During my 2 months of closure I have been on a journey-and it has only just begun!! What do I want to do?? I want to follow a passion, something I love to surround myself with. My background is Interior Design and I didn't really want to go back into it in the traditional way, not to mention the economy sucks so probably a pretty tough time to be the new kid on the block. Marie Twaddle and co-worker and recently laid off HR Mgr and one of my best friends is in love with Christmas! She has been convincing me that we need to start a line of Christmas stockings and accessories because she just couldn't find anything beautiful out there and is sure we can do better. Well, I have to admit, at first-although I tried to be supportive-I just couldn't wrap my brain around making Christmas stockings. Did I mention, she has no idea how to sew? lol! So when we found out we were laid off I figured I would have a little time on my hands and decided that before I could design anything I have to learn whats been happening in the Arts & Crafts world since I've been playing HR Mgr. So I have been on a mission, boy have I ever. I LOVE IT!! I'm not sure exactly what I will be when I grow up but one thing I know for sure I am on the right path. I have raised my kids, look forward to grandkids someday but right now I feel it is my turn to remember what it was that I loved to do. ART! I love to create things. I love to make things beautiful. I am now on board with Marie and Christmas stockings...lol! And so much more.
I have big plans for phase 2.....I am going to start at the gym and finally get some exercise!! Yippee!! I am going to educate myself on eating right and being healthy-I have already started by getting my seeds planted indoors for my garden this year. I took a How to Make Cheese class recently while visiting Chris in DC, I am going to touch every inch of my house for Spring cleaning and reunite with it, I have researched art & quilt workshops on the internet....I am almost to the end as my family would say...they are silly!! I want to learn EVERYTHING!! about Surface Design, Embellishing, Quilting and mostly FELTING!! I am so obbessed its crazy. I took a Felting class in DC and am absolutely in love. I want to know and do it all. I have big plans for me and Felt. I have since visited the Testile Museum in DC where they are having a Nuno Felt exhibit, I bought 2 Felting books there. I read every word before I got home and then ordered two more. I haven't started them yet. Marie hasn't quite caught up to me, she is where I was when we first started talking about a business. She is a kinda in a fog right now but I am sure she will catch up.
I have to mention how extremely supportive and what a fabulous and fantastic husband I have. He jumped in immediately and helped me re-design my studio-put in my built in wall storage and made my sewing desk. The coolest thing is my Memo Center he just finished--ohhh--it is sooo cool, with a white board and 2 cork panels that slide across-its the BOMB..He has never laughed at the idea of creating a business by making stockings or my love of the felting process. In fact he has been my rock, supporting all my crazy ideas and new loves-always encouraging me to find out more and trust my instincts. I would not have this confidence if not for his love. All of my family is so excited for me, although they don't quite get where I am going, hell, I'm not sure myself-lol, but they see how excited I am and they are there for me!!! I love them all. I am so blessed.
So, there is some background to this new phase-Act 2!! I don't have a moment to waste. Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Transcendental Etude

No one ever told us we had to study our lives, make of our lives a study, as if learning learning natural history or music, that we should begin with the simple exercises first and slowly go on trying the hard ones, practicing till strength and accuracy became one with the daring of breaking down the wild arpeggio or faulting the full sentence of the fugue.
--And in fact we can't live like that: we take on everything at once before we've even begun in the midst of the hard movement, the one already sounding as we are born.

Adrienne Rich